7 Tips for Creating a Positive Work Environment
By Allegiance Staffing
April 9, 2019
One of the great things about working in a small business environment is that everything feels more personal and people have the chance to feel seen. This, however, can create some troubles if special care is not being taken to maintain positivity amongst the team. As you prepare your staffing plan for your small business, it is important to consider how those being interviewed will contribute to the team’s motivation and happiness.
As much as the team members play a role, so does management. Keep reading for seven tips that will help everyone involved to create a positive work environment.
Maintaining Motivation For A Happy Team
A healthy and stress-free work environment is only possible if everyone is committed to:
- Communicating. Communication between management and their team, as well as between team members, is essential if things are going to run smoothly. Management can promote this by have an open-door policy, which will make everyone automatically feel more comfortable expressing their ideas and concerns.
- Employee Empowerment. If employees feel empowered they will be more comfortable making decisions and taking action when it is necessary. Managers cannot be the only ones responsible for doing this all of the time, and if they give enough strong guidance, employees will be able to confidently take the appropriate matters into their own hands.
- Working As A Team. Team spirit is a leading positivity motivator. It brings people together and makes them feel good about the goals that they are collectively working toward. Give them a reason to celebrate these victories when they reach them with rewards (like parties or gift cards).
- Pleasant Surroundings. People want to look forward to being inside the space that they work. The physical environment is created by the business owner, but manicured and maintained by management and the employees themselves. Plants, seasonal decorations and cleanliness will help keep things warm and inviting so that everyone can enjoy their time and feel comfortable at work.
- Showing Appreciation. Knowing that their efforts are recognized and appreciated motivates individuals to continue working hard. A simple “nice job” or “you really helped me today” will show a person that, though the day may have been challenging, that it was worth it. If an employee really goes above and beyond, this can be an opportunity to reward them, which will motivate others to work in the same way.
- Keeping Things Fun. There are many ways that people have fun. You can go bowling or have parties every so often to take the edge off of outside a tight working environment, but there are also other ways to have fun while working. This kind of fun comes out of good connections with coworkers and when people truly feel respected and appreciated for who they are. When teams work together and are allowed to enjoy their work, fun will happen naturally.
- Celebrate Milestones. It is important to show appreciation in small ways here and there as people continue to grow and make achievements. Take this even further by celebrating your team when they have a birthday, received a promotion within the company, or have been with the company for a number of years. This gives everyone a feeling of true belonging and worth.
Positivity is contagious. People want to look forward to going to work, and the more positive each person is when they do so, the more it will spread. It is a leader’s job to instigate and promote this positivity, but it is also up to the team to carry it through. For more information on how you can staff your small business with people that will truly contribute to the positivity of your team, reach out to us here.