Do’s and Don’ts for Great Interviews | Allegiance
By Allegiance Staffing
January 8, 2018
Interviews are stressful for the candidate and exhausting for interviewers. A smooth and positive experience will help you get the most out of the interview.
- Send the itinerary ahead of time. State who the candidate will meet with and their titles and the type of interview to expect
- Tell them where to park, what entrance to use, and what to tell reception
- Provide a bottle of water and let them know where the restrooms are
- Allow a 10 minute break if the interview is more than one hour
- Ask questions that allow the candidate to share their proudest moments – such as “What project are you most proud of and why?”
- Tell the candidate when they can expect to hear from you
- Involve a team member who knows the role best – they will have great feedback to offer and can relax the interview
- Provide employee benefits packet and the outline of the job description
- Ask self-damaging questions like “Tell me your biggest weakness”, instead ask “Tell me how you resolved a problem or failure….” You can learn more about the candidate’s approach to problem solving, conflict resolution, and perseverance
- Go silent. Do give a status update after a week or so even if you are not interested or are still interviewing
- Ask 30 behavioral questions that sound the same – aim for less than 10 behavioral questions and use follow-up questions to get more about the story
- Interview over a meal – this adds stressful decisions about ordering and food preferences and is a distraction. If you must interview over a meal because of scheduling or the length of interview, make sure that the restaurant offers vegetarian and vegan options and call ahead for seating in a quiet area. Let the candidate know ahead of time in your itinerary where you’ll be dining and that you’ll be paying for the meal.
Let Allegiance Staffing help you fill interview spots with the best talent and give you time back to focus on what’s important.
Allegiance Staffing offers 25 years of experience bringing in quality employees who meet high standards. Contact us today to learn more about how our custom labor solutions can improve your bottom line. Looking for work? Join Our Talent Network Today.