Have You Started the Search for a Staffing Agency?
June 13, 2014 | Staffing Blog
Most people tend to think of staffing agencies as providing manufacturing jobs for a warehouse or as a way to fill an assembly line. But there is any number of reasons a company will turn to a staffing agency:
- Retailers employ temporary employees during the holiday season, including in the stores, warehouses and for customer service.
- A new project or contract that requires extra manpower either temporarily or for an extended period of time.
- A full-time staff person is out for temporary leave – maternity leave, for example.
- Businesses in the hospitality industry often hire temporary staff for peak travel seasons or to work a particularly large event or festival.
- Staffing may also be a cost-effective solution for a business that is just getting started and hesitant to commit to several full-time workers.
Whatever the reason or business need, temporary staffing plays a large role in the workplace and overall economy. According to the American Staffing Association, 3 million people are employed by staffing companies every week. Last year at Allegiance Staffing our 17 branches across the country matched more than 15,000 workers with jobs.
In the United States, there were about 17,000 staffing firms operating in 2007 so there are plenty of places to turn if your company needs temporary workers. But it’s almost a guarantee not all 17,000 of those companies provide a high level of customer service and employee training as well as extensive interviews and background checks to ensure your company receives the very best employees.
Do your homework and interview several staffing companies to compare services. Remember that price isn’t everything. A cheaper hourly rate can cost you dearly in the long run if employees aren’t showing up for work, aren’t properly trained or are involved in multiple accidents.
Ask about the staffing agency’s hiring process. Any person hired by Allegiance has gone through our 3-Day Hiring Process. Everyone must come to one of our offices three times to be tested, screened, interviewed and vetted. Those who don’t come back after day one weren’t going to be good employees for your business.
Only 42% of all staffing agencies conduct background checks, but we do them on every single person. We verify employment with former employers and we speak with past supervisors to gauge an applicant’s work ethic, skills and reliability.
Request testimonials and review industry rankings for any staffing agency you are considering hiring. For five consecutive years, Allegiance has earned top satisfaction scores from clients. In 2014, the company was named as one of Inavero’s 2014 Best of Staffing® Client Award winners.
Just as you vet any potential employees, do the same with possible staffing agencies. You want a company that will partner with you to fulfill your staffing needs not just with bodies but with qualified, screened and trained workers.