How to Find the Second Chance Jobs That Pay the Bills
April 20, 2021 | Career Blog
Life is a long winding road and a lot can change throughout the journey. Though things may get messy and you may have headed down a rough path, it’s important to know that second chance jobs are out there. There are actually specific organizations and businesses that focus on finding jobs for people who have been convicted of felonies or lost their way somehow. Below you will find a list of popular second chance jobs and how you can land yourself one of them!
Jobs for a Fresh Start
The thing about finding a good job is it allows you a fresh start that will hopefully keep you on a better path for the rest of your working years. Navigating the job market as an ex-felon can feel like a struggle at the start, but once you know where the opportunities are, it’s a lot easier.
Some jobs that are commonly flexible about hiring ex-felons are:
- Cook. Median hourly wage: $12.67
- Warehouse Worker. Median hourly wage: $13.80
- Customer Service Representative. Median hourly wage: $16.69
- Construction Worker. Median hourly wage: $17.31
- Mechanic. Median hourly wage: $20.24
- Welder. Median hourly wage: $20.43
- Truck Driver. Median hourly wage: $21.76
- Electrician. Median hourly wage: $27.01
- Wholesale & Manufacturing Sales Representative. Median hourly wage: $30.29
Tips on Applying for Work
Now that you know what jobs to apply for, you want to make sure you go about it the right way. Utilize programs, resources, and professional job application best practices to get yourself in the best standing possible.
Applying & Interviewing
Though you can’t do much about your past, you can do a lot about the present and future. As you approach applying and interviewing for jobs, make sure you:
- Include a cover letter in addition to your resume
- Check for any grammar or spelling errors in all areas
- Point your resume to highlight what makes you a good fit for the job you’re applying to
- Follow up just saying you want to make sure your resume was received and that you’re still very interested in the position
- Research the company and job responsibilities you’re applying for
- Look up common questions that are asked in interviews and come up with your own answers
- Prepare 2-3 questions of your own for the interviewer
- Have a friend do a practice interview with you
- Show up to the interview 10-15 minutes early
- Dress professionally
- Stay calm
- Follow up with a “thank you for your time and consideration” email
Some staffing agencies specialize in second chance staffing, by:
- Evaluating your skills and qualifications
- Performing a background check and determining what companies you would best fit with
- Having specific connections to companies that are flexible with second chance staffing
- Providing resume advice and interview coaching
- Offering temporary staffing so you can explore different options and find a job you really like
How to Land the Job
At Allegiance Staffing, we have years of experience staffing in industries that offer a variety of second chance job options. If we hire you, we will have a selection of job openings for you to choose from within the following industries:
Receiving our assistance will be of no cost to you, and we will help you prepare for your resume and interview. It is our desire to get you that job, and we will do everything we can to assist.
Give us a call today to learn more about how Allegiance Staffing can help you land second chance jobs!