9 Overnight Jobs That Are Worth Staying Up For
February 23, 2021 | Career Blog
Overnight or third shift jobs are great for night owls or those who have other pressing responsibilities during the day. Though working the late shift is not for everyone, more than 2 million Americans enjoy this type of work, saying they actually work better at night. This is especially the case if the job is something worth staying up for. The perks go beyond making a little extra money for working what some would call ‘a vampire’s schedule’, keep reading to learn more!
The Best Jobs to Work Overnight
You may be wondering how we know so much about this, and that’s because we staff these jobs every day. Some of the best overnight jobs out there land in the industries we have specialized in staffing for over 20 years. This has allowed us to gather which positions appeal most to night owls and why. Here are the top 9:
1. Casino Dealer
Median Pay: $22,910
- Deal cards to patrons.
- Check the player’s bets.
- Compare the player’s hands with the house to determine a winner.
- Announce winners.
- Exchange money for chips.
- Conduct all gambling games applicable.
- Inspect cards for compliance with gaming standards.
- Receipt of cash wagers.
- Provide instructions to players.
- Notify supervisors of any irregularities or scammers.
Median Pay: $23,680
- Greet customers and provide them with menus.
- Take the customers orders and put them into the point of sale system.
- Deliver items to the customer.
- Check for identification to ensure those who order adult beverages are of age.
- Maintain cleanliness of the bar and surrounding areas.
- Provide customers with their bill and collect payment.
- Monitor customers levels of intoxication and stop serving them when appropriate.
3. Hotel Desk Clerk
Median Pay: $25,130
- Assist patrons with room assignment.
- Answer phones.
- Issue room keys and cards.
- Receive payment from patrons.
- Confirm reservations.
- Ensure rooms are ready to be filled.
- Communicate issues to upper management.
- Provide patrons with information on nearby attractions and food options.
4. Home Health and Personal Care Aides
Median Pay: $26,440
- Maintain home care records, diet, and activities.
- Assist with the patient’s physical therapy exercises and administering medication.
- Make meals and basic housekeeping.
- Arrange transportation to appointments and other scheduled functions.
- Report to the case manager how things are going and any changes noticed.
Median Pay: $27,700
- Use recipes to bake goods.
- Evaluate quality of ingredients before using.
- Report issues with equipment as needed.
- Bake breads, pastries, and any other items on the menu assigned to you.
- Maintain cleanliness of the station and appliances.
- Restock items as needed.
6. Delivery Driver
Median Pay: $32,020
- Load items into the vehicle.
- Carry out communication processes with customers about delivery status.
- Report any incidents to appropriate staff.
- Follow traffic laws.
- Maintenance of delivery vehicle (cleanliness and basic functions).
- Receipt of payment.
- Fill out an applicable paperwork.
7. Forklift Operator
Median Pay: $36,770
- Set up and test forklift to ensure it’s working properly.
- Operate machinery.
- Move material with the forklift.
- Communicate & signal to coworkers for safety & production purposes.
- Record new locations of items.
- Examine and repair equipment as needed.
8. Truck Driver
Median Pay: $45,260
- Fill out appropriate paperwork to ensure the vehicle is safe to use.
- Follow all traffic laws.
- Report any incidents that occur on the job.
- Drive long distances to deliver products to customers.
- Secure all cargo before transport.
- Report mechanical problems to appropriate personnel.
- Maintain the cleanliness and functionality of equipment.
Median Pay: $45,750
- Review blueprints & other plans for work to be accomplished.
- Test and secure all tools, machinery, and workpieces being used.
- Adjust machine parts based on manufacturer specifications.
- Examine products being created for functionality and defects.
- Finish production of products so they are complete and presentable for sale.
- Present and modify products based on customer needs and specifications.
Looking to Apply Today?
At Allegiance Staffing we work with companies and employees to fill all of the positions listed above! These are the industries we know the most about, so we can help you prepare for your interview and give you the scoop on who is hiring for what. Give us a call today and we will help you find an overnight job for free! Best of all we will make sure it’s exactly the kind of job you’re looking for and works with your specific schedule and needs. To learn more about our services, click here.