5 Overnight Jobs That Are Worth Staying Up For
September 15, 2020 | Career Blog
If you’re looking for a job that will fit with your unusual schedule, the ones where you can do shifts overnight are a great option. Maybe you are a parent who needs to be around during the day, or a student who has classes to get to. Whatever the case may be, you have options!
There are a lot of jobs available that you can work overnight, so you do have a bit of flexibility when it comes to finding something that fits with your skillset. Keep reading for the best overnight jobs that are worth staying up for.
There are a few things that can make an overnight job ideal:
- It’s fun to do.
- It’s something you love.
- The money is great.
- You have time for your other responsibilities or hobbies.
Overnight Jobs You Will Actually Enjoy
At the end of the day, it really is up to you and your personal preferences whether you deem something worth it. Still, we think these jobs are pretty great for those looking to work the night shift.
Median Pay: $23,680 a year
A lot of bartenders enjoy their job because they are basically the host of the party. They’re there to facilitate the fun (safely), and provide people with an environment where they can let go. Commonly, job duties include:
- Greeting customers and filling them in on specials.
- Giving recommendations and taking drink orders.
- Pouring wine, beer, and assembling cocktails.
- Ensuring that customers are of legal age by checking identification.
- Cleaning the bar and surrounding area.
- Keeping the bar well stocked and managed.
- Ensuring that customers aren’t reaching an unsafe level of intoxication.
Median Pay: $27,700 a year
Bakers work overnight so they can provide customers with freshly baked goods bright and early in the morning. Perks include amazing smells and being able to sample the sweets to ensure they are meeting flavor standards. Oftentimes the owners of the establishment will also let you bring home items the customers didn’t buy the day before. Commonly, job duties include:
- Checking the quality of the ingredients being used.
- Preparing and cleaning equipment.
- Measuring out ingredients.
- Kneading, rolling, cutting, and shaping dough.
- Placing items in the oven and ensuring they cook long enough without burning.
3. Hotel Desk Clerk
Median Pay: $28,090
A hotel is a great place for overnight work because there are usually a lot of nice perks that come with the job. Hotels tend to provide benefits and discounts on their rooms to employees. There is also usually a restaurant you can order a shift meal from. Customers are generally friendly, as many of them are on vacation or a trip away from home. Commonly, job duties include:
- Answering phones and taking reservations.
- Ensuring customers are placed in the correct rooms.
- Checking in and checking out customers.
- Providing important details and directions to customers.
- Processing payments and communicating to other hotel staff for customers.
4. Nurse’s Assistant
Median Pay: $29,640
Being a nurse’s assistant is a great position for someone who enjoys caring for others. Often working in hospitals or residential care facilities, NA’s provide basic care and help patients with their daily activities. Commonly, job duties include:
- Cleaning and bathing the patients.
- Helping patients use the restroom.
- Moving and repositioning patients between beds and wheelchairs.
- Communicating health concerns to nurses.
- Measuring vital signs.
- Preparing or procuring the patient’s meals and helping them to eat.
5. Delivery Driver
Median Pay: $32,020
Delivering food and other goods is great because the hours are generally very flexible. A lot of companies will allow you to decide when you work and when you don’t. You can also listen to your favorite music or audiobook while on the job. Commonly, duties include:
- Loading up the delivery vehicle.
- Collecting payment from customers and communicating any information they require.
- Reporting any incidents that occur while on the job.
- Keeping the vehicle clean and in good working order.
- Processing paperwork like receipts or delivery confirmation notices.
6. Customer Service Representative
Median Pay: $34,710
You can be a customer service representative in almost any industry. If you like making people happy, you will find great enjoyment in this position. Commonly, job duties include:
- Talking with customers and addressing their questions and concerns.
- Providing information about the products and services your company provides.
- Taking orders, billing, and processing payments.
- Handling returns and customer complaints.
- Directing customers to supervisors and management when they need further assistance.
Need Help Find a Job?
With over 20 years of experience, our team at Allegiance Staffing provides free assistance to people looking for jobs in their desired field. We can help you find an overnight job that you enjoy. Reach out to us today to learn more.