10 Jobs for 18-Year-Olds You Haven’t Thought About
April 18, 2022 | Career Blog
The age of 18 is a great time to enter the workforce. Whether you’re a teenager that recently turned 18 or the parent of an 18-year-old, you’ll want to know more about current job options available in the market.
There are so many great jobs for 18-year-olds that could be the foot in the door to a successful career. Whether seeking employment opportunities during high school, after graduating from high school, or while in college, there are many ways to get started.
And, 18-year-olds don’t have to settle for boring jobs with no room for growth! There are plenty of exciting jobs that you probably haven’t thought about that could lead to future success.
Consider These Good Paying Jobs For 18-Year-Olds
Many employers will hire individuals with a high school degree or equivalent (such as a GED), even with no previous work experience. Take a look at these five interesting job opportunities that go beyond your basic entry-level job.
- Retail Sales Associate (median U.S. pay: $12-14 per hour).
- Organize merchandise on the store floor.
- Work a POS (point-of-sale) register to complete transactions.
- Maintain a clean environment in your assigned department.
- Provide customer service to customers.
- Resolve issues for customers, such as returns or exchanges.
- Report issues to management and coordinate the resolution.
- Office Clerk (median U.S. pay: $15 per hour).
- Work in an exciting office environment.
- Organize documents (electronic and paper).
- Use computer software tools such as MS Office to perform tasks.
- Support office managers and executives.
- Provide customer service to guests that visit the office.
- Execute other clerical work as needed.
- Camp Counselor (median U.S. pay: $10-15 per hour).
- Drive a vehicle with a valid driver’s license.
- Supervise campers during seasonal camps.
- Coordinate activities at the camp location.
- Resolve issues or disputes between campers.
- Ensure safe arrival and departure of each camper.
- Assistant Sports Coach (median U.S. pay: $18-20 per hour).
- Help the head coach/manager with day-to-day activities.
- Support practices and gameday.
- Drive players to and from the gameday location.
- Review tape to help players improve performance.
- Craft drills and other exercises for skill development.
- Mechanic (median U.S. pay: $20 per hour).
- Work with cars or other vehicles to fix issues.
- Receive work orders from supervisors to solve the problem.
- Identify which parts need to be replaced.
- Report the resolution to a supervisor or the customer.
- Stay informed about the latest automotive industry developments.
Are There High-Paying Jobs for 18-Year-Olds?
In our first list, we identified good jobs for 18-year-olds through employers. For ambitious teenagers that are looking to make more money on their own, there are plenty of opportunities to build a nice business addressing a need for people in the community. Consider these high-paying jobs for 18-year-olds.
- Housesitter (median U.S. pay: $15-20 per hour).
- Connect with friends, neighbors, or others that need short-term or long-term housesitting.
- Build a reputation that could lead to repeat jobs and/or referrals.
- Set your own schedule to housesit for as often as you are available.
- Grow your income while you study and perform other school work.
- Dog Walker (median U.S. pay: $16-20 per hour).
- Help out friends and neighbors by walking their dog(s).
- Work as often as you have time to build your income.
- Find more opportunities through repeat jobs and referrals.
- Enjoy the great outdoors and get exercise.
- Tutoring (median U.S. pay: $20-25 per hour).
- Utilize educational background to share knowledge with others.
- Make more money with specialized knowledge or education.
- Provide tutoring in-person or virtually through web conferencing.
- Schedule tutoring sessions around your schedule.
- Build up income through regularly-scheduled sessions and referrals.
- Writer/Editor (median U.S. pay: $20-25 per hour).
- If proficient in writing or editing, take on professional writing jobs.
- Write reports, blogs, website pages, or other forms of content for clients.
- Edit content that clients need to spruce up.
- Find higher-paying writing/editing jobs as you become more experienced and skilled.
- Driver (median U.S. pay: $22-25 per hour).
- Monetize your vehicle by driving individuals.
- Connect with individuals that cannot drive themselves.
- Provide driving services to and from scheduled locations.
- Increase pay by building a reputation for being prompt, friendly, and helpful.
Find the Best Jobs For 18-Year-Olds
Our list should have triggered some ideas for how to find jobs that do not require a college degree or a tremendous amount of experience. 18-year-olds can apply for many of these jobs right away or start building a new business by making a few calls.
At Allegiance Staffing, we can help! Our staffing agency can help find the best jobs for 18-year-olds through our excellent partner companies. Just take a look at our Jobs Board to find available jobs right now.
We also work directly with 18-year-olds entering the workforce. Our team is available to discuss available jobs that might not be on our Jobs Board. Contact us today to get started on the job search!