5 Do’s & Don’ts for First-Time Job Interviewees|Allegiance!
By Allegiance Staffing
February 13, 2017
First job interviews coming up? It’s completely normal to feel anxious, but it’s not as tough as you think to make a good impression. Keep in mind these five job interview do’s and don’ts for first-time interviewees, and you’ll do great.
- Don’t carry excess baggage. If you are in a situation where you have shopping bags or other extra items in tow, ask the receptionist if he or she will hold on to them or if there is a safe place to stash them away until you get out of your interview. Toting those extra items will not only distract your interview, but it also gives an unintentional impression of disorganization.
- Do take off your coat and hang it on a hook, coat tree, or hanger (if available). You will look far more professional and presentable if your suit isn’t covered up with outerwear. If there isn’t anywhere to hang your coat, keep it when you rise to make your way to the interviewer’s office.
- Do step into the interviewer’s office with confidence and poise. It’s normal to feel intimidated during a job interview, but that doesn’t mean you have to show it. Shake your interviewer’s hand firmly and maintain eye contact. Sit with your back straight and remain visually engaged even if you think the interviewer’s not paying attention (such as while he or she is taking notes).
- Don’t put your elbows on the desk or lean in toward your interviewer. The former is just rude (Remember when Mom told you not to do that at dinner?) and the latter can be considered an invasion of personal space. You do want to strike a balance between being overly formal and confidently relaxed, but you don’t want to accomplish that by getting a little too comfortable.
- Do practice your interview at home — and that includes those little details like your posture and handshake. Recruit a friend to help you do a mock interview. (Choose someone you know will give you honest feedback.) Getting in a practice run in will sooth your nerves and prepare you for the real thing better than simply imagining it will.
Allegiance Staffing offers 25 years of experience bringing in quality employees who meet high standards. Contact us today to learn more about how our custom labor solutions can improve your bottom line. Looking for work? Join Our Talent Network Today.