What Does a Temp Do?
October 7, 2019 | Career Blog
A “temp” typically refers to an individual who has taken a temporary position with a company. There are many different types of companies that hire people on as temps. The industry and job title that the temp is hired for will help to determine what the responsibilities will be for that job.
If you are thinking about taking a stab at temping, we have good news. You have a bunch of options! To get you started on understanding the gist of what a temp does, let’s take a look at the basics and go from there.
Usual Reasons for Taking a Temp Job
People have their own reasons for preferring temporary employment. Some common examples are:
- They are looking for some quick extra cash.
- They like to keep a variety in their work life.
- They are looking for an “in” in their preferred industry.
- They are trying to network.
- They aren’t able to find full-time work in the job they want.
- They are unsure of what kind of job they want, so they are giving this one a go.
- They work in an industry that has more opportunities for people who take temporary jobs.
What Does a Temp Do?
Companies bring on temporary employees to help them meet business demands without having to bring on a permanent employee. In some cases, the employer may offer the temp a permanent position within the company if the individual has demonstrated a good work ethic and fits well with the team. In any case, the basic duties of a temp are to:
- Learn the duties and principles of the position they have been hired for.
- Follow company rules and policies.
- Help the staff successfully get through their busy season.
- Be flexible and ready to meet the needs of the employer.
- Commit to the job and their responsibilities the same way they would if it were a permanent position.
How Temps Find Work
You can find temp jobs in almost any industry. The easiest and most common way to find a temp job is through a temp agency or staffing firm. Agencies and staffing firms find and retain workers for businesses and send them out to do short or long-term assignments. Because the businesses pay the agency to find them temps, the temps don’t have to. So, you get the benefit of having someone to help you find the kind of job you want without having to pay them a dime.
Examples of jobs that a staffing firm or temp agency can help you find include:
- Warehouse workers
- Computer support specialists
- Customer service representatives
- Data entry workers
- Hotel clerks
- Maintenance and repair workers
- Nurses or nursing aides
- Secretaries and administrative assistants
- Truck and delivery drivers
Benefits of Working as a Temp
Aside from the reasons listed above, people are also drawn to working as a temp because of the perks! Examples of these include:
- Flexible scheduling: The chance to work when are where you want to work, taking breaks when needed or have the summer off to travel.
- Getting a job quickly: A way to make ends meet or get extra income for the holidays or that dream car you almost have enough savings for.
- Health benefits: Many temp agencies offer full benefits to their employees, including holidays, medicals, and dental coverage, life insurance, and a 401k plan.
Depending on your reasons for being interested in temp work, a staffing firm will help you find the jobs that make the most sense for you. For more information on being a temp and why it might be your ideal path, reach out to our team at Allegiance Staffing here.