Why Flexible Staffing May Be Right for Your Business
By Allegiance Staffing
April 6, 2021
Over 3 million individuals are employed as temporary or contract workers in the United States. Why? There are a number of possible reasons, the main one being the allowance for flexible staffing.
A handful of instances can cause employers to take the avenue of temporary staffing. Whether or not this avenue is the right choice for you can be determined by your current and overall staffing needs and if temporary staffing helps you to address them effectively. Keep reading for the benefits, additional factors, and how-tos of temporary staffing.
Benefits of Hiring Temp Workers
Whether you need more time to make big moves or just need an extra set of hands, for the time being, temporary staffing is a great solution. The flexibility this provides employers can be valuable in many ways. Some examples of circumstances where temporary staffing is beneficial are:
- Businesses experiencing workload fluctuations.
- Full-time employees needing to take longer absences due to illness, vacation, maternity or disability leave, etc.
- The unexpected sudden departure of an employee you depend on greatly.
- If you desire more time to evaluate a worker’s performance before committing to hiring them permanently.
Things to Keep in Mind
Though temporary staffing allows for flexibility and can be extremely beneficial to your company, it’s important that you understand it fully and have someone to manage the process. If you have decided to give it a try, some things to keep in mind are:
- The temporary employee is being brought in for a quick fix, but they will still require some thorough training to be an effective support to your staff.
- As this individual is not necessarily expecting to be with you for the long run, your current team may not treat them as an ‘insider’. It is essential that they are treated as one of your team, so teamwork does not suffer.
- Legal concerns may come into play if there is any confusion around the worker’s status and how they are treated in comparison with others. However, if you partner with a staffing agency, any of these issues will be managed by them.
Industries That Benefit Most
The industry your business is in determines a great deal of whether or not temporary staffing is an applicable solution for you. Some companies may find it only complicates things further for them. That being said, staffing agencies tend to stick to industries where the fit is right. Allegiance Staffing focuses on some of the industries that will indeed benefit the most, which are:
Automotive: mechanics, CAD designers, production supervisors, engineers, electricians, and assembly technicians
Clerical: admin assistants, receptionists, secretaries, HR assistance, files clerks, data entry, and any other general office work
Healthcare: certified nursing technicians, admissions, lab assistance, x-ray technicians, cafeteria workers, greeters, and janitorial staff
Hospitality: food and beverage service, hotel staff, housekeeping, laundry services, groundskeeping, and janitorial needs
Light Manufacturing: welders, technicians, CNC operators, shipping & receiving staff
Warehouse: customer service, quality control, assemblers, welders, inventory control, forklift operators, shipping and receiving staff, warehouse clerks
Staffing Agencies Make It Easy
Working with a staffing agency allows you to get the most out of flexible staffing solutions and ensures that you are covering all of the necessary bases. Let us do all of the grunt work, so you have everything you need to keep your operations running smoothly. Specific benefits of using a staffing agency include:
- Reduced overhead costs, such as healthcare, 401k plans, sick and vacation days, employer taxes, etc
- Less overtime pay, as work overflow can be delegated to your temps
- Coverage for any unforeseen staff absences or emergencies
- Qualified individuals who are specifically chosen by the agency to fit your needs
- The handling of background checks, employee onboarding & paperwork, payroll & tax expenses, workers comp, and unemployment benefits
- The ability to replace a temp worker with a different individual when or if the fit isn’t right
- A partner who has accrued years of expertise in staffing your specific industry that you can turn to with any and all staffing issues
Ready to give temporary staffing a try? Allegiance Staffing over 20 years of staffing experience and is sure to have a location near you! Give us a call today to get started.