What is a Temp Job, and Should I Apply for One?
By Allegiance Staffing
September 7, 2021
Temp jobs (temporary jobs) are positions you hold for a short period of time based on an agreement with the company you’re working for. These time periods can be as short as a few hours or go on for months. Many companies hire temps for peaks in production, like during the holidays or if a specific season ramps up their business. Temp jobs do not always include health benefits, but there are some occasions where they do. If you’re interested in learning more about temp jobs and how you can apply for them, keep on reading!
Benefits of Working Temps Jobs
There are a great many benefits to working temp jobs! Even if you are looking for something permanent, this really isn’t a bad place to start. It’s understandable if you’re weary. After all, you have to make a living and make sure you aren’t coming up short on bills. Find comfort in the fact that there is a lot of temporary work out there. In fact, the American Staffing Association states that staffing companies in the US put about 3.2 million temp and contract employees to work each week in 2014, and that number has only continued to rise. This isn’t the only appeal either; some more benefits of temp jobs include:
- A quick and easy opportunity to make some money. It’s no big mystery that we all need money to survive. Whether you’re in between full-time jobs, don’t have time to commit to a permanent position, or are looking for some extra cash, a temp job is a great solution.
- An opportunity to network. Just doing this will introduce you to people and give you the experience that could open up doors to a solid career path.
- Continuous employment to list on your resume. Hiring managers don’t like to see big gaps in between jobs on resumes. Temp jobs allow you to have something to list while you are looking for a new permanent position.
- The chance to try out different industries. Temp jobs allow you to dip your toe in waters you may not have originally considered. You may find that exploring multiple industries opens your eyes to things you didn’t even realize you enjoyed and do well.
- Enhancing your skill set. A dynamic skill set is definitely an appealing thing to have on your resume. As you take new temp jobs, you can develop new skills to add to that list, making you even more hireable for future opportunities.
- A way to get yourself in the door and nurture a potentially full-time fit. It’s not unusual for temp jobs to turn into permanent ones, especially if you and the company find you jive well. If the end goal is to find a permanent full-time position, don’t hesitate to take opportunities to make yourself valuable to the company.
- Flexibility. If you’re set up with a temp agency, you will have your pick of a wide array of jobs needing to be filled. Many people like temp jobs because it allows them to take on work only when they need it.
How to Find Them
You don’t have to look far. The most effective way to find temp jobs near you is by making sure your head is in the game, your resume is updated and pointed correctly, and that you’re asking for help from the right sources. Here are the best ways to go about that:
- Clean up and point your resume. Think of your resume as your ticket to landing the jobs you want. If your resume is professional with the right information included to make you appealing, this can go a really long way. Don’t overdo it; just make sure that you include the skills and past jobs that make you a good fit for the jobs you’re applying for. Your name and contact info should be up top and easy to spot, and make sure there aren’t any spelling or grammar errors.
- Establish a list of goals. To find what you’re looking for, you need to know what that is first! Make a list of the types of jobs you’re interested in and any other specifications like schedule, pay, etc.
- Find a temp agency that specializes in your desired industry. Temporary staffing agencies exist to fill jobs for businesses in need. They will set you up with temp opportunities regularly and free of charge.
We Have Temp Jobs to Fill!
As a staffing agency with locations all over the US, we always have an ongoing list of temp jobs that need to be filled at the ready! We will find you temp jobs based on your goals, skills, and availability. We will also help you clean up and point your resume efficiently and prepare for your interviews, so you are even more likely to land the jobs you want.
Reach out to learn more about how Allegiance Staffing can provide you with temp jobs today.